Many Windows 8 users would agree that there is quite the learning curve when switching from Windows 7 or even Mac OS. Although most of it just has to do with the user-interface; it may take sometime to become comfortable enough with the operating system. Until you get comfortable you may want to utilize some of the great Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts that have been created so you can quickly move between different functions; this will help you work faster and more efficient.
Useful Windows 8 Keyboard Shortcuts
- Windows Key + X – Pop-up with a menu of the control panel, task manager, file explorer and command prompt; called the advanced system settings.
- Windows Key + Q – Brings up the application search tool which gives you the ability to search through all of your installed software.
- Windows Key + C – This function will display the popular charms menu that has been added to Windows 8.
- Windows Key + I – Allow you access to the settings menu from an open app. For instances if you have Google Chrome open and click Windows Key + I it will open the Internet options settings.
- Windows Key + D – A very popular shortcut key function that will activate the desktop mode (the familiar desktop similar to Windows 7).
- Windows Key + M – Give you the ability to open the desktop mode and minimize any current open windows that are active.
- Windows Key + Tab – Pops up with the task switcher and changes between the Windows 8 specific applications.
- Windows Key + W – Activates the universal search utility and sets it to search settings so the user can easily find Windows 8 specific settings.
- Windows Key + F – Activates the universal search utility and sets it to search the files so the user can easily find saves documents, images, audio, etc.
- Windows Key + E – Pops up the file explorer to the “my computer” function which allows the user to view all of the drives.
- Windows Key + R – This key combination will open the run menu which allows the user to launch software by typing in the file name.
- Windows Key + Number Key 1-9 – The user will be able to quickly switch between the desktop mode and make the number application located on the task bar active.
- Windows Key + H – Pops up the share menu of the currently open application. If you had Google maps open it would allow you to share it via email or social networks.
With the ability to quickly toggle throughout your new Windows 8 experiences; you will be able to receive a better understanding of the new OS and its functions.