The long awaited, and much anticipated Codeigniter 3.0 has officially been released. The Codeigniter project is now under new management, BCIT, and they are aiming to re-ignite the project and keep it competitive with other frameworks. If you are interested to see a list of every change between Codeigniter 2.0 vs 3.0, view the Change Log.
Codeigniter 2.0, has not yet been officially released by Ellis Labs, but for a couple of months now, a stable version has been available to download. Follow these simple steps in order to do so!
- Visit the Codeigniter bitbucket (source code repository) site at https://bitbucket.org/ellislab/codeigniter/.
- Hover over the icon and choose .zip
- You will now be prompted by your browser to save the file onto your system.
- Navigate to this file and use an Unzip utility to extract these files into a path accessible by your web server. (Note: If your webserver exists on a different machine, upload the unzipped files via FTP to your web host)
- Open your browser and type in the URL to the Codeigniter path!